Thursday, April 19, 2007

There are No Cats in America . . .

(And the streets are paved with cheese . . .) These, my friends, are the hopeful words of my friend Fievel Mousekewitz.

As a kid, I loved "An American Tail," and growing up in a mainly non-Jewish world, I had no idea that Fievel and his family were a part of "Russian-Jewry." It was the words of Fievel that came to my head last night as I saw what is, quite possibly, the most ridiculous thing I have seen in Israel. Well, I guess I cannot go that far. After all, this is a country where even the diapers are labeled "Kosher for Passover" (click here for my expose on Kosher for Passover products) And to be fair to Israel, I did grow up in a place where the trucks are larger than my current apartment. (Let's just say, "It's a draw." There are ridiculous things everywhere). What did I see? Well, in the "development" town of Herzliya Pituach (Hebrew speakers will get this joke), I saw, near a mall filled with expensive stores which is located on the beach, a sign for a "Planned Feeding Area" for cats. Fievel would have cried.

You see, Fievel dreamed of a land without felines. Had he arrived to Israel instead of America, he would have been deeply disappointed. That is, or eaten immediately. Israel has many, many, many (keep saying "many" to yourself) cats roaming the streets, yowling in the night, and scrambling out of dumpsters when you least expect it (i.e every time you try to throw away trash).

I myself have fed many a cat and even saved a small kitten from dying of malnourishment and disease. Even I, friend of the felines, was a bit shocked by the organized "soup kitchen for cats." Not because cats don't deserve it, but rather because people do.

Last week I visited the towns of Ramle and Lod, two cities located between Jerusalem and Tel Aviv, which make me happy I live in the neighborhood I do. Ramle and Lod are what is called "mixed cities," meaning that their populations consist of a significant number of both Jews and Arabs. The reality on the ground is harsher, though. "Mixed," in most cases, translates to "separate," and "separate," in most cases, translates to "separate and not equal." Both of the towns, unfortunately, have in many respects been left to die. Both the Jewish and Arab populations suffer from low socio-economic statuses. However, the resources, rights, and privileges granted to the Arab communities--or rather, the lack of them--left me with a hole inside. As is the case in many poor areas, there is a huge problem with crime and drugs--I saw two drug deals go down in the few short hours I was there--and even those people who have been able to succeed are limited in their opportunities. For instance, the "all white" country clubs in 1950s America have found their "all Jewish" answer here in Israel--neighborhoods where even if you have the money to buy the house, you don't have the right blood to do so.

And so, I think now to myself, that the irony is just a bit too much for me to bear. One town where even the cats are looked after. And another one, a short 20 minute drive away, in which citizens of Israel live without municipal services such as water and electricity. When I think about the best way of addressing these issues, I come up with many simple answers that apparently the local and federal government seem to think are impossible or perhaps, simply, not worthwhile.

So, what is the answer? That is how I sign off now. With a question, with doubts, and as always, with hope.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Becky,

That's an interesting impression you got after one visit. The truth is that the reality there is a lot different. And I know that, because I lived in Lod for 6 months. And Shabi has lived there his whole life.

Although the situation may appear like that, the neglected poor neighbourhoods in both cities ARE "mixed" and not just arab. The majority might become arab in those neighbourhoods because Jews leave as property values decrease, which increases the arab population even more because it's inexpensive.

In Shabi's neighbourhood in particular, this is exactly the case. When arabs came into the neighbourhood, from the Palestinian territories (either by marrying Israelis or by being cooperative with the Israeli government), the neighbourhood started an immediate decline into the chaos it is today. Sewage was clogged up, garbage was everywhere, and the noise pollution grew. From that, property values declined steeply, and most of the Jewish population left for a quieter, cleaner neighbourhood or city. And only the Jews without enough money to buy property elsewhere, were stuck.

And the issue with arabs not being allowed to buy property if they have the money is much more complicated than you make it seem.

But I need to get to work now. More comments, and conversation to follow.

Becky said...

Jennie,

I guess since I am posting this response online versus sending it to only you, I will address things in a way that allows me to respond to you personally as well as address things in a way that I think possesses academic and moral integrity.

It is a true that I spent half a day in the town you called your home for six months. I would not dare claim that I understand the situation in Lod (or Ramle) in enough depth to testify during a Supreme Court hearing or be able to begin making government/local policies to address the myriad of issues that face the populations there. I, too, live in a "mixed" city--Jerusalem--and to be quite honest, after living here for several years, I am still sometimes confused about the best policies to implement to improve the lives of all citizens--Arab, Jewish, and other.

I appreciate your take on things, and I think that our back-and-forth conversation can only enlighten us both and anybody else who chooses to read it. The perspective to which my group was exposed was without a doubt from the Arab population's point of view. To be fair, the Jewish populations in these towns (and elsewhere in Israel) also bear the brunt of the government's (state and local) lack of planning and lack of consideration.

You wrote that "the issue with Arabs not being allowed to buy property . . . is much more complicated than I make it seem." My first response to that is, "Obviously." This is a blog, and its purpose is to allow people a look into my thoughts and opinions (yes, I know, quite ego-centric!).
These "thoughts and opinions" are much more complicated than any piece of writing can hint at.

The reality of Israel is also much more complicated than I make it seem in most of my blog entries. But it is a country I love and want to make better, not only for the Jews who live here, but for all of its citizens.

I want this exchange to continue (it doesn't need to be public, by the way), but I will end this response with one reflection, which is not directed at you: When I wrote about the Jewish Israeli citizens who were taken out of Gush Katif and are now living in trailers and described how they are all-but-forgotten by the Israeli government, there was nothing but support for what I had written and a "good job" said to me for making their plight heard.

I find this state of affairs, in which we are almost over-protective of Jews in Israel and closed-ears-closed-eyes to Arab citizens of Israel, very problematic. We call ourselves a democracy and we need to live up to it. That doesn't mean giving the minority everything they want even at the expense of the majority, but it does mean addressing their needs AS MUCH as ours.

It's hard, yes. It takes a lot of time and energy, yes. But it is essential.

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.