Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Studying in a Winter Wonderland

So, I guess my professor is not having office hours. He warned us: "If it snows on Wednesday, I will not be in my office." Let's hope he's at home sipping hot chocolate and sitting next to the fireplace.

I admit it--I lied. I said, "I don't want snow; it will only make my little bedroom--fondly referred to as the 'Mini-Frigidaire'--even colder". But as I sit inside now, surrounded by "Patterns of Democracy: Government Forms and Performance in 36 Countries" and "Theory and Methods in Political Science," I can't help but gaze out the window. Now that I look out my picture window to the snowy neighborhood of Katamon, I take back my words and think to myself that is really is beautiful.

And I realize that in a world that often concentrates on the ugly, bad side of things, we have to take advantage of every chance there is to see the beauty.

Unfortunately, this snow has been accompanied by a lot of rain, strong winds, flooding, people's houses falling down and a high number of road accidents (Article). However, there are some good things going on. For instance (from the Jerusalem Post): In light of the expected freeze, the Jerusalem Municipality rented hotel rooms for the city's homeless to at least give them a roof over their heads.

Let's just wish everyone else a safe (if wintery) week.

A few pictures for your enjoyment:








Don't be scared . . . he's only 8 inches tall!

And by the way, since I don't have a fireplace, can someone sit by one for me?



1 comment:

Never Anonymous said...

It's funny that it has snowed in Jerusalem and not yet in New York this winter. When I lived there, I recall the day I was to leave for Haifa to visit friends when the streets were covered with a few inches of fresh fallen snow, the first time it had done so in decades at that time I believe.
Here's my blog http://neveranonymous.blogspot.com/
if you'd care to take a look.

L'hitraout v koltuvlach